In April we had a great camping trip up to Mt. Lemmon to dodge the heat and have a bbq. It was a great time with burgers and s’mores. While we had to run away the following day to avoid the rain it was a lot of fun. Hopefully we will see you on our next trip.
Good afternoon Optical Sciences,
Laser fun day is fast approaching on the first of March, and we need you to help run demos and teach kids about optics. We are looking for people to work one of two sessions. Morning shift will be from 9:00 am to 11:45 am and then the second group will take over till 3:15 pm. As an added bonus we will be feeding all the volunteers as well, so if you’re interested in volunteering please email and let us know what time you would be available.
Below is a list of demos we are planning to use, if you are familiar with any of these demos and have a preference for which demo you would like to present then include that in your email. No experience necessary come help and have a good time, and tell your friends.
Look forward to seeing you there.
- Johnathan Cushing
Reply to SOCk at: firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>
1. Far IR Camera (FLIR)
2. Near IR Camera (surveillance camera)
3. 3D, using passive 3D TV
4. 3D. How students can make their own 3D images
5. Giant meter square Fresnel lens, to melt lava rocks using the sun, and make volcanic Obsidian
6. Rainbow simulator
7. LCD screen demo—see a working LCD screen taken apart
8. Bouncing laser beam in sugar water in Karo syrup, mirages, refraction
9. How do CD/DVD/Blu Ray players work?
10. Electric pickle demo–sodium doublet, 589, same as street light
11. Spectroscopy. Looking at emission lines from plasma tubes and other light sources with diffraction glasses
12 . Schlieren imaging
13. Light and color, using colored LED flashlights and filters
14. Birefringent demo using cellophane and polarized LCD screens
15. TIR, using 6′ acrylic rod and a laser, and fiber bundles
16. Laser music transmitter, using pulse width modulation
17. Solar telescope, for looking at the sun’s corona, flares, using H-Alpha Filter during the day
18. Index matching trick, making glass disappear in index matching liquid
19. Floating pig demo
20. Einstein inverted face illusion
21. Laser Graffiti – Drawing with Lasers or “Laser Projector”
22. Laser Maze
23. Ooblek Monster/Waves in Non-newtonian fluids
Today we met and went over a few budget points and many details regarding the upcoming Laser Fun Day. We will now also be posting the meeting notes here, in case the meeting time conflicts your schedule or you otherwise cannot make it to the meeting.
The new website for the student optics chapter is finally live. It will be a few more days before all the old content is moved over. Thank you all for your patience!